Hideo Kojima is one of the most influential and innovative games designers to ever grace this earth. As both director and producer, he has created several titles during his illustrious career, but everyone will always know him best for the Metal gear series. His games often revolve around nuclear weapons and genetic manipulations, which is clearly evident in all installments of the Metal Gear series.
They also frequently feature characters that are influenced from famous Hollywood movie characters. For example, Big Boss from Metal Gear is based on the character Snake Plisken from Escape from New York.
Kojima himself is a very humble man, never letting his work effect his public attitude. He works long hours to strive for his goals, and always takes the time to talk to the press, sign autographs, or stay for an entire gaming show. He is always interested in the views his fans have of his work, and believes in anyone being able to create their dreams.
Born – August 24, 1963 (age 47) Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
Occupation – Game Director/Producer/Designer/Writer
Years active – 1986 – Present
Companies – Kojima Productions, Konami
Family – Wife and son
HOW IT ALL STARTED
Initially, Kojima wanted to be an illustrator as a young child but was put off by Japanese society norms which expect people to become faceless ‘salarymen’. However, he gained an interested in writing soon after and wrote around ten pages worth of stories every day after school. After failing several attempts to get his stories recognized by weekly magazines, he shifted his focus onto film making. In spite of his creative ambitions, he took an Economics degree for security. During this time however, he spent most of his free time playing games which finally made him realize that working in the gaming industry would be the most satisfying for him. The rest as they say, was history…
– Metal Gear series (28 titles worked on)
– Zone of the Enders series (2 titles worked on)
– Tokimeki Memorial series (3 titles worked on)
– Boktai series (4 titles worked on)
– Snatcher series (3 titles worked on)
Shigeru Miyamoto’s Super Mario Bros. changed the future not just of games, but for all of entertainment, and for myself as well.
Japanese creators try to express the game’s environment through beautiful artwork, but western developers use technology to draw out the environment.
Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent to the big bang of our gaming universe.
The human body is supposed to be 70 percent water. I consider myself 70 percent film.
Without 007, there would have been no MGS.
– Kojima’s father was an influential member of the Yakuza, and was surrounded by enemy gang violence!
– As a child he often had to look after himself when he came home from school.Staying at home by himself in isolation still affects him to this day stating, “Whenever I travel and stay at a hotel I put the TV on as soon as I enter the room, just to deal with the feeling of loneliness.”
– Since Kojima loves movies as much as games, he himself was a cameo in the movies Azumi and Versus (Note: The director of these movies also directed the cut-scenes of the Gamecube remake ‘Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes).
– Approached by the Watchowski Brothers to work in the production team of “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions”
– Metal Gear was intended to be an action game that featured modern military combat. However, the MSX2’s hardware limited the number of on-screen bullets and enemies. Therefore, Kojima turned it into a stealth game!
– Kojima designed the ‘Shadow Moses Island’ stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I consider, Hideo Kojima a genius not just in game design, but within the entire entertainment industry. He is constantly inventing new game mechanics and has managed to keep the Metal Gear series fresh in all of its entries (which is exceedingly rare for sequels these days). Personally, I love his controversially long cut scenes which all stem from his passion for film and storytelling. I doubt we will have another man like this in the industry for a long time, if not ever! What I do know is that Zone of the Enders and Metal Gear in particular will always be close to my heart. Thank you, Hideo Kojima!
MORE KOJIMA GOODNESS!
WHAT’S YOUR IMPRESSION OF HIDEO KOJIMA? WHICH OF HIS GAMES HAVE LEFT LASTING IMPACTS ON YOU? WHAT WERE THEY? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW!